Monday, December 13, 2010

Serendipitous Moment


Don’t you love serendipitous moments? Those wonderful, sometimes fleeting moments that occur by accident.

It was my goal this month to write a post on the even days but I’ve been under the weather lately, actually for the last five weeks, unbeknownst to me battling a sinus infection. This morning I was finally miserable enough to concede it was time to go to the doctor and stop messing about and get better.

On my way home from the doctor's office, I saw this great blue heron standing on the edge of a corn field looking very out of place. One leg was tucked into his chest, no doubt trying to warm it up. Checking my rear view mirror to see if anyone was behind me, I grabbed my point and shoot (My other camera, the one I should've used to take this photo was home on the kitchen counter where it didn’t belong!!!), rolled down the passenger side window as quietly as possible and was able to grab a few shots. I knew he’d take flight before I even got out of my car, so I had to be content with shots I was able to get. I also didn’t want to stress him out by pointing a camera in his beak. (The above shot would have been much better if I had the other camera as I would’ve been able to zoom in even closer. So far, this is the closest I’ve ever been to one of these beautiful birds.)


Great blue herons are such majestic birds and the other day, while on another walk down by the river I accidentally rousted one from a nearby tree. I watched as he glided effortlessly to a safer distanced nearby tree. I never realized they roosted in trees. I mean with those very long legs I couldn’t imagine them standing in a tree. You learn something new every day.

I wish I had the patience to sit for hours to get a great shot of a great blue but alas I am no doubt the poster child for needing/wanting patience.

I’d love to hear if you’ve had any serendipitous moments lately.

Namaste
Chris

1 comment:

Lisa Johnson said...

I've never seen a blue heron. Great shots! I've probably had some serendipity recently, but for the life of me, I cannot think of a thing at the moment!

I hope you're feeling better and on the mend! ; )