Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Peanut Blossoms


This quick and easy cookie recipe came from a friend and neighbor years ago. Recently, I had a reason to dig it out of my recipe box for an upcoming art show I was in and volunteered to make cookies for the event.

Peanut Blossoms

Whisk:
1 ¾ cups of sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt

Cream:
½ cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup peanut butter (I used Smart Balance creamy peanut butter)

Gradually add:
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar

Add:
1 unbeaten egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat all ingredients well. Blend in the dry ingredients gradually and mix thoroughly.

Shape dough into balls using a rounded teaspoonful for each. Place on greased baking sheets. (I found a teaspoon too big as the cookies spread and get larger as they bake.)

Bake in 375 degree oven for 8 minutes. Remove from oven. Top each cookie with a chocolate kiss (I use Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Kisses) pressing firmly so the cookies crack around the edge. Let cookies sit for a few minutes and then move to a cooling rack until totally cool.

I just realized I missed the last part of the recipe the last time I made them, which says, “Return to oven, bake 2-5 minutes longer until golden brown.” If you want the kiss to retain its shape don’t do this last part.

Yield: 3 dozen cookies

These cookies also freeze very well.

Enjoy!

Namaste
Chris

1 comment:

Cheryl @ Simply Shoeboxes said...

So glad you decided to share this. We have made these each Christmas and when we moved this spring somehow this recipe got lost. Yours looks just like the one my mother-in-law had in her box that we used. I am going to imagine that she was your neighbor and gave this to you :-).