Sunday, April 15, 2012

Beautiful Spring Morning


Yesterday was a beautiful Spring morning and perfect for making homemade Chocolate Chip, Walnut and Greek Yogurt muffins.

The recipe comes from the Betty Crocker's Cookbook. To show you how old my copy is my aunt gave it to me over 30 years ago and the title page bit the dust long ago so I can't even give you a copyright date. To say I've been using this recipe for more than a few years is putting it mildly. And over the years I've tweaked the recipe more than several times. What follows is my final tweak and I doubt I'll "tweak" it again because it's so good.

Sweet Muffins

1 egg (I use an egg substitute)
1/2 cup milk (I've used Silk's Vanilla Almond Milk as a substitute)
1/4 cup salad oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar (I've used Sucanat as a substitute)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 heaping tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt*
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 walnuts

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottoms of 12 medium muffin cups (I'm lazy I use the paper liners). Beat egg; stir in milk and oil. Mix in remaining ingredients just until flour is moistened. Batter should be lumpy.*

Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan.

*I also add a heaping tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt and mix until the the batter is smooth. I will often put this in at the same time I add the wet ingredients.

Enjoy!!!!

Wishing you all a Happy Spring.

Namaste
Chris

No comments: