Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pumpkin Cranberry Bread


The other day I was rummaging around in my recipe box looking for my Broccoli Salad recipe when I happened across Libby's Pumpkin Cranberry Bread recipe. If you're like me when I hear the word "pumpkin" I think of October and Halloween or if it's November, Thanksgiving and pumpkin pie.
But I have 4 or 5 bags of frozen cranberries taking up space in my freezer and I was in the mood for some good cranberry bread. Not that I've had any lately and the last recipe I used I wasn't too thrilled with it although when my daughter makes it it's to die for. I think it must be me.

Anyway, I decided to try this new recipe yesterday morning for breakfast. I can tell you I was not disappointed. It's light and moist and the cranberries (they were frozen) make a nice counterbalance to the sweetness, which isn't overpowering. Another nice feature to this recipe is the fact you don't need a mixer, although it says to use one, and it takes only two bowls and makes two loaves.


Libby's Pumpkin Cranberry Bread
(Makes 2 loaves)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups (15-oz. can) Libby's pure pumpkin
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup fresh, frozen or sweetened dried cranberries

COMBINE flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Combine eggs, sugar, pumpkin and oil in smaller mixer bowl; beat just until blended. Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; stir just till moistened. Fold in cranberries. Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 9x5 loaf pans.

BAKE in preheated 350 degree oven for 55-60minutes (in my oven it took 45 minutes) or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5-10 minutes, remove to wire rack and cool completely.

I don't know how well the bread freezes since the two loaves I made haven't lasted long enough for me to freeze!

Enjoy!

Namaste
Chris

No comments: