Friday, August 3, 2012

A Few Words about the Printed Word


Lately, I've been thoroughly enjoying Lisa Lutz's Spellman series: The Spellman Files, Curse of the Spellmans, and Revenge of the Spellmans to name just a few. If you are a Janet Evanovich fan, you will definitely like Lutz's dysfunctional, cynical, suspicious and hilarious private investigative Spellman family! 

At the end of her newest book, Trail of the Spellmans, Lutz wrote a short piece about changes in the book world. Here's what she had to say:

"I believe eventually readers will smarten up and realize a book isn't a bargain just because it's cheap. Agents, editors, and publishers exist so the books you get in your hands are worth reading. I understand the desire for convenience, and if you saw some of the shortcuts I make in life, you'd know I've got nothing against e-books (I even read them myself). But I do ask readers to think of this: As bookstores are closing at alarming rates across the country, there's still something you can do about it. Even if you're a diehard e-reader, every once in a while walk, drive, or take a bus to a bookstore and buy a real book off the shelf. Booksellers aren't just managing the register, they're people who love books and, ideally, know how to match the right book with the right person.

I don't have any kids, so I'm not as worried about my heirs as the rest of you, but still: I think the youth of tomorrow might be better off if they knew the physical sensation of cracking a spine and turning the page."

I couldn't agree with her more.

Namaste,
Chris

2 comments:

Tracey said...

I agree with you. There is nothing like it for me to grab a book, sink into the corner of the couch & lose myself. Even tho I think the e-readers are cool, I have no desire to own one. My mother got me hooked on the library very early so that love will always be instilled in me. It saddened me some yars ago when I discovered Son couldn't read; I so wanted to pass on my love. But everything is what it is, :-)

Lynn said...

This is great. Just right. And I'm going to have to check out the series. Looking for something new to read!