Friday, June 7, 2013

Grounds for Sculpture


The above tableau is part of a larger photo I took last week while visiting Grounds for Sculpture with good friends, Alix and Mary. It was their first time and since I had been there before, I was their unofficial tour guide.

Grounds for Sculpture, or GFS as many refer to it, is a beautiful 35-acre sculpture garden and museum located on the former New Jersey Fairgrounds. While some of the art is permanent other exhibits come and go. It's a great place to just wander on a lovely day and see some amazing art.

On the back side of the Grounds is a great restaurant ($$$$) called Rats. Don't let the name turn you off or ruin your appetite because the food is excellent as evidenced by the two photos below of my lunch and Mary's, which was a special of the day. (In hindsight, which is always 20/20, I should've asked why it's named Rats.)



Before digging into my hamburger, I pulled out my point 'n shoot, which I carry with me everywhere, to take a picture. As I take the photo, I tell Mary and Alix that some restaurants are banning people from taking photos of their meals. Out of nowhere and behind me I hear a male voice say, "Miss, I'm sorry you can't take pictures of your lunch." I turned and there was a dark haired, good-looking waiter with a megawatt smile laughing. He'd overheard what I'd said and decided to take advantage of the situation and before I could protest he added, "I'm only kidding, I'm only kidding!" I started to laugh and told him I was a blogger who often wrote about restaurants and their food. We all laughed. It's always great when you have a good waiter/waitress with a sense of humor. I think it makes the dining experience much more enjoyable.

If you're looking for something different, I highly recommend Grounds for Sculpture and Rats.

Namaste
Chris

No comments: