Saturday, June 15, 2013

Some of my favorite things


Several years ago, actually more than several years ago, I bought a large blank, unlined journal at Walden's when Walden's was still around. At the time, I didn't know what I would use it for but knew it would come in handy eventually.

It must be a fall back from cutting out paper dolls from one of my Mom's magazines, I want to say it was McCall's but it's been so long I'm not sure. Yes, I know I'm dating myself big time. Well, to that I say, "age is just a state of mind!"


Anyway, over the years, as an avid magazine reader I've cut out many photographs of beautiful old houses, bedrooms, kitchens and bathrooms, gardens, poetry, words of wisdom, and antiques. In short, just about anything that catches my eye. In fact, there's another folder buried somewhere on my desk ready to be cut up and pasted into this journal.

Yesterday, I pulled out the journal and began pasting more of my favorite things within its pages. It's a work in progress and there are a lot of pages to fill. I thought I'd share a few with you.


Actually, there's a method to my madness. I've been itching to try mixed media art and have been reading how-to books about the process but have yet to drag out the paper and begin. It's sort of the "blank page/writer's/artist's block" I suppose. I realize in mixed media there is no right or wrong and what I keep telling myself is I need to just jump in and start and the rest will follow.

Maybe all of this pasting in the journal is a way to prime the creative pump so when I finally pull out that blank white piece of paper (I already have the paper and it's not that big) I'll jump in with both feet and let the creative spirit take me where it wants to go.

Okay, stand back, I'm goin' in!! If all goes well I'll blog about it if not it will be like it never happened!!

Namaste
Chris

No comments: