Monday, April 15, 2019

Between a Rock & a Hard Place



In my small corner of the world Spring has finally arrived. The dandelion above was discovered last week wedged between a concrete step and sidewalk.  I'm thinking it's either on track for the Guinness World Book of Dandelions as being the first to bloom or it's an overachieving weed.

According to my copy of Newcomb's Wildflower Guide, published in 1977, we have the Common Dandelion, an abundant weed that blooms from Spring to Fall.

"Abundant" doesn't begin to describe this ubiquitous invasive. One morning, usually in May, you awake and lawn cutting season begins whether you want it to or not. Wake the following morning, you discover your lawn is infested with a dandelion armada that stealthily moved in and silently bloomed overnight.

I know what you're thinking. Obviously I don't have a lawn service on speed-dial to swoop in and spray, ridding my lawn of this nasty invasive. We have a big lawn that's not so much a lawn as it is a well-controlled, nice-looking field.

However, patience is on our side and this weedy pandemic on our yard lasts about two weeks. After two or three cuttings, only a few stalwart diehards remain to annoy making sure we don't forget them. I can live with that. Luckily, I don't live in a neighborhood where lawns are groomed to within an inch of their life and dandelions need not apply.

Good-bye Winter, Hello Spring and . . . warmer weather.

Namaste,
Chris

No comments: