Thursday, July 30, 2020

Not All Who Wander . . .

… are not (necessarily) lost!*

There are two favorite sayings I've quoted often, which is how I remember them. Above is the first.

My dear friend Jan recently celebrated a birthday and I always treat her to lunch. But this year I added something special. A road trip to a place I knew she’d never been. Her only requirement? Bring your camera.

I’d been to the mystery destination with my husband more than a few years ago but didn’t remember how to get there. Several weeks before her birthday, I Googled the destination and downloaded the directions to my cellphone.

It was a gorgeous day for a drive in the country with the sun high in a cloudless deep blue sky. I picked her up just before lunch and we ate at one of our favorite restaurants. Lunch for both of us was a delicious New York wrap.

We proceeded north to our destination. I also had a map of the area (Yes, I know, What’s a map? and/or You used a map!?!?). I guess I forgot to mention I’m a dinosaur who also happens to be tech savvy but loves to use older technology, in this case? A map! So sue me!

We’re driving for a while until it dawns on me we’ve driven too far. I pull off to the side of the road and check my map. Yup, we missed our first turnoff long ago. Yes, I checked the map before we started and was fairly sure, (operative words) I knew how to get there. Yeah, right! (As a side note, this will not be the first time I will be lost . . . today.)

I locate the turnoff we missed long ago on the map and turn the car around to backtrack. (I know what you’re thinking. The directions are on your cellphone, dummy! And if they are why are you using a #$%#@ map? I don’t have a good answer let alone a viable and believable excuse.) Again, so sue me.

We turn off and it’s déjà vu . . . all over again! We’ve gone too far! Pull off the road for a second time and this time I turn on my cellphone!!! Yes, I know, I should’ve done that hours ago. Yes. And. No.

Before our second turn around, we pass a small, but quaint rustic farm stand along the country road we’re traveling. We stop to check it out and it’s run by two friendly, lovely young girls wearing masks (like ourselves per COVID-19) selling an array of beautiful farm-grown vegetables. Enticing deep forest green cukes and zucchini, purple and green peppers, gorgeous tomatoes that make you want to take a bite out of them or make a tomato sandwich, fresh picked corn, raspberries, blackberries as large as the tip of your thumb, cantaloupe, and at least two types of melons and more. All nicely arranged on old, rustic wooden tables. Jan and I bought several ears of corn, a head of lettuce, blueberries and a melon.

Back on the road, we finally arrive at our destination and Jan is amazed at what she sees. I pull off to the side of the road (this is getting to be a habit) and we grab our cameras. The site looks almost the same as the last time I saw it but you can tell time has taken, and is taking, its toll. (I apologize for not divulging the destination but I don’t want the owners’ privacy to be invaded. I hope you will understand.)

On our way home we realized had we not gotten lost, we would never have seen, let alone traveled, some of the most beautiful country roads. More importantly, we would never have stumbled upon that lovely farm stand.

The second quote? Paraphrasing Emerson’s famous quote, “Life is a journey, not a destination,” I prefer to say, “Life is about the journey . . . not the destination.”

Namaste,
Chris

*Not All Who Wander Are Lost may refer to: J.R.R. Tolkien's poem, "The Riddle of Strider" from The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring.

No comments: